- Akwaaba !! – Welcome to Ghana - Arrival and Welcome for the volunteers. Arrival will be at Kotoka International Airport, Accra. You will be met by VolunteerMatch Ghana coordinators on arrival. On the day of arrival , you will be taken to the VolunteerMatch Ghana home-stay
in Accra. Please note that all volunteers need to arrive in Accra on this day only. For those arriving earlier, they will be met at a meeting point decided beforehand.
- Transfer to Project Location - On the second day, volunteers will travel to the project city, town 30 minutes from the main city centre Nungua. .
- Local City tour and Orientation - VolunteerMatch Ghana program coordinators will provide important information about the safety, culture and give a tour of Accra to the volunteers informing about the internet café, banks, restaurants and markets.
- Project Introduction – Visit your project, meet the local staff and begin the volunteer work.
Day 5 – 10
- Continue with the Volunteer project work. Evenings are free to travel with other volunteers and explore the shopping markets.
Day 11 - 13
- Visit to Traditional Ghanaian Village to witness local traditions and customs. Over the weekend, volunteers will be visiting the local villages surrounding Accra to witness local traditions and customs. You will be
meeting the local village chief, exchanging greetings and seeing their traditional way of living. During the evening the volunteers will be taking part in learning sessions with regards to the social activities in the village.
These include drumming and dancing lessons. In the evenings, the villagers offer an entertainment program for the guests to watch and participate. Among others, there are options which include drumming and dancing with the whole village, or listening to a storyteller who narrates old animal fables around a bonfire.
Day 14 - 19
- Volunteer work at the Project, Volunteers will be involved in doing both skilled and unskilled work such as digging, mixing sand and cement, carrying rocks, sand and bricks, fetching water, and painting the school buildings. They will work together with local skilled people who will be providing free labour for the improvement of their communities. The volunteers will be working in hand with the local community members.
Volunteers will also be given options to work in orphanage placement as well as Teaching project. At these projects, volunteer duties will include :
Day 19 - 21
- Teaching the school going children and helping them to do their homework after school. Keeping the children busy and organizing educational and recreational activities for them (games, art, music, etc.)
- Helping with and monitoring the cleanliness of the children.
- Teaching the children common courtesies, moral education etc.
- Weekend Tours, Depart to Aburi Botanical Gardens. Afterwards continue to Akosombo to tour the Akosomba Dam which genertes electricity for Ghana. Depart Akosombo to Ho for overnight. .
- On the last day of the week, volunteers will be taking their flights from Accra.
Living and Other Arrangements
VolunteerMatch Ghana strives to provide best of the living and other arrangements to its volunteers. Like we keep saying, just pack your bags and arrive at your placement destination. From your airport pickup, stay, meals, weekend tours and other nitty gritties, VMG manages everything for you.
Airport Receive/ Transfer
You will be met by our representative at Kotoka International Airport in Accra from where you are transferred to your project location. Volunteers will stay overnight in Accra at VolunteerMatch Ghana homestay.
Volunteers will be staying with VolunteerMatch Ghana homestay. Accommodation is either provided in an individual or shared room along with other volunteers. By staying with a VolunteerMatch Ghana homestay you will experience the local Ghanaian culture, language customs and traditions.
A half day orientation will be provided by your local coordinator. Areas like culture, safety, locations, transportation are covered in the Orientation. After your orientation is over, you will be introduced to your project.
Volunteers are provided with 2 meals (breakfast and dinner) at VolunteerMatch Ghana homestay. Ghanaian cuisine consists primarily of starches, soups, beans, meat and fish. The Starches consist mainly of rice and doughy balls made from mashed cassava, plantain or yams.