- Akwaaba!!– Welcome to Ghana - Arrival and Welcome for the volunteers. Arrival will be at Kotoka International Airport, Accra. You will be met by VolunteerMatch Ghana coordinators on arrival. On the day of arrival , accommodation will be provided in VolunteerMatch Ghana home-stay
in Accra. Please note that all volunteers need to arrive in Accra on this;day only. For those arriving earlier, they will be met at a meeting point decided beforehand.
- Transfer to Project Location - On the second day, volunteers will travel to the project city, Hohoe by bus. The bus from Accra to Hohoe is of around 6 hours. After arrival in Hohoe you will be picked up and transferred to your accommodations.
- Local City tour and Orientation - VolunteerMatch Ghana program coordinators will provide important information about the safety, culture and give a tour of Hohoe to the volunteers informing about the internet café, banks, restaurants and markets.
- Project Introduction – Visit your project, meet the local staff and begin the volunteer work.
Day 5 – 8
- Continue with the Volunteer project work. Evenings are free to travel with other volunteers and explore the shopping markets.
Day 9 - 10
- Visit to Traditional Ghanaian Village to witness local traditions and customs. Over the weekend, volunteers will be visiting the local villages surrounding Hohoe to witness local traditions and customs. You will be
meeting the local village chief, exchanging greetings and seeing their traditional way of living.During the evening the volunteers will be taking part in learning sessions with regards to the social activities in the village.
These include drumming and dancing lessons. In the evenings, the villagers offer an entertainment program for the guests to watch and participate. Among others, there are options which include drumming and dancing with the whole village, or listening to a storyteller who narrates old animal fables around a bonfire.
Day 11- 15
- Volunteer work at the Project - Volunteers will be involved in doing both skilled and unskilled work such as digging, mixing sand and cement, carrying rocks, sand and bricks, fetching water, and painting the school buildings. They will work together with local skilled people who will be providing free labour for the improvement of their communities. The volunteers will be working in hand with the local community members.
Volunteers will also be given options to work in orphanage placement as well as Teaching project. At these projects, volunteer duties will include :
Day 16 - 17
- Teaching the school going children and helping them to do their homework after school. Keeping the children busy and organizing educational and recreational activities for them (games, art, music, etc.)
- Helping with and monitoring the cleanliness of the children.
- Teaching the children common courtesies, moral education etc.
- Weekend Tours - Visit to Wli Water Falls -20km from Hohoe, in the Wli Natural Reserve. This waterfall is becoming very popular in the West African sub-region. It is perennial as water cascades throughout the year. It is located at the edge of the Agumatsa Wildlife Sanctuary, which has hundreds of fruit bats and a few monkeys and antelopes. The water falls from a height of about 1,600 feet. While on the trip volunteers will be accompanied by the local coordinators.
Mountain Afadjato - is one of the highest mountains in Ghana standing at an elevation of 885 metres. The correct name would be 'Mount Afadja' as 'Mount Afadjato' will be a repetition of the 'Mountain.' Mount Afadja is one of the most visited tourist sites in Ghana.
Day 18 - 20
- Volunteer work at the Project
- Visit to Tafi-Atome Monkey Sanctuary is not only one of most favorite tourism spot in Volta region but also in whole Ghana.
You can play with lovely monkey and spend funny time in wildlife and nature in volta region. It is thought that about 200 years ago when the ancestors of current inhabitants of Tafi Atome arrived at the village, the monkeys were believed to be messengers of the gods and their protectors.
However, when Christianity became the main religion in the 1980’s, the villagers lost their reverence for the animals. To protect the monkeys and the forest they live in this Sanctuary was created in 1993 by a coalition of villagers , public institutions and NGO.
- On the last day of the week, volunteers will be taking their bus back to Accra.
Living and Other Arrangements
VolunteerMatch Ghana strives to provide best of the living and other arrangements to its volunteers. Like we keep saying, just pack your bags and arrive at your placement destination. From your airport pickup, stay, meals, weekend tours and other nitty gritties, VMG manages everything for you.
Airport Receive/ Transfer
You will be met by our representative at Kotoka International Airport in Accra from where you are transferred to your project location. Volunteers will stay overnight in Accra at VolunteerMatch Ghana homestay.
Volunteers will be staying with VolunteerMatch Ghana Homestay
. Accommodation is either provided in an individual or shared room along with other volunteers. By staying with a VMG
Homestay you will experience the local Ghanaian culture, language customs and traditions.
A half day orientation will be provided by your local coordinator. Areas like culture, safety, locations, transportation are covered in the Orientation. After your orientation is over, you will be introduced to your project.
Volunteers are provided with 2 meals (breakfast and dinner) at VMG
House. Ghanaian cuisine consists primarily of starches, soups, beans, meat and fish. The Starches consist mainly of rice and doughy balls made from mashed cassava, plantain or yams.